[Dovecot] restore lost emails

Daminto Lie dlie76 at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 7 05:29:38 EEST 2011

________________________________
From: Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>
To: Daminto Lie <dlie76 at yahoo.com.au>
Cc: dovecot at dovecot.org
Sent: Tue, 7 June, 2011 12:30:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Dovecot] restore lost emails

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 21:06 -0700, Daminto Lie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with this. I am running
> Postfix 2.7.0, Dovecot 1.2.9 and squirrelmail. Every week, I perform a back-up

> on both Postfix and Dovecot (maildir and conf folders). That's good because I
> have all the emails backed up. And now what I would like to ask is whether or
> not there are any easy way of restoring e-mails if some emails got deleted by
> accident or for other reason. So far, I have tried to look up the answer on the
>
> Internet but got a bit of vague answer.

Other than finding and restoring the mail from backups, there's no
simple way. Although you could configure Dovecot to do lazy-expunging:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Lazyexpunge

Thank you for your reply, Timo.

OK, but if I want to restore a particular mail from backups, what're the steps
involved? What I mean is do I just copy and paste that mail file from backups to
the user account maildir folder and what program should I run to synchronize it.

Thank you once again