[Dovecot] IMAP Label Updates not showing up across shared account

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jun 7 16:53:08 EEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 10:44 +0100, Ricardo Branco wrote:
> Dovecot 2.0.13
> Centos 5.4 x86_64 2.6.18-164.9.1.el5 (on ESXi)
> OS/Logs on local storage, /home all on NFS server for datastore (NFS Store Centos 5.5 x86_64 2.6.18-194.11.1.el5)
> Thunderbird 3.1.10 on XP/W7 Desktops
>
> We are seeing a werid issue where there is a delay of up to a few mins in seeing label updates on messages.
> I have confirmed that Thunderbird is sending the update to the server with WireShark, its just additional users
> connected to the same mailbox do not see them.

Are the two clients connecting to the same Dovecot server?

> Marking a message as Seen/Un-Seen happens faster just not labels.
> If you have a label set when you mark a message as Seen/Un-Seen the other clients then see the update straight away.

I don't see how that could be possible. Did you check with wireshark
when Thunderbird received the \Seen flag change or the label change? You
could try also if you can manually reproduce this with telnet:

telnet localhost 143
a login user pass
b select inbox

do the same with another session then run "c idle" in first session and
in the second one run:

c store 1 +flags $Label1

Did it report immediately to the first IDLEing session about the label
change?