[Dovecot] save failed to INBOX: Not enough disk space

Osvaldo Alvarez Pozo nebano at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 14:32:31 EEST 2011

Hi again

Sorry if I top post, but this problem is urgent as we are losing mails.

We have migrate from dovecot 1.4 to dovecot 2.0.12. But from severals
now we have found this on our log files.

relay=smtp1.huissier-justice.fr[private/dovecot-lmtp], delay=5.4,
delays=0.74/0/0.01/4.6, dsn=5.2.2, status=bounced (host
mail.domain.tld[private/dovecot-lmtp] said: 552 5.2.2
<user1 at domain.tld> Not enough disk space (in reply to end of DATA
command))

We use maildir on an ocfs2 filesystem shared by 4 serveurs. The
partition is not full the output of df -hi is:

#df -hi
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on

/dev/mapper/vmail
                        30M     21M    9.2M   70% /var/vmail

We noticed this happens when messages are bigger than 5Mbytes, but
are not using quota plugins on dovecot-lmtp

this is a part of our dovecot configuration.

service lmtp {
  chroot =
  client_limit = 0
  drop_priv_before_exec = no
  executable = lmtp
  extra_groups =
  group =
  idle_kill = 0
  inet_listener lmtp {
    address = 127.0.0.1 ::1
    port = 24
    ssl = no
  }
  privileged_group =
  process_limit = 0
  process_min_avail = 0
  protocol = lmtp
  service_count = 0
  type =
  unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }