[Dovecot] On-delivery deduplication?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jun 8 23:15:16 EEST 2011

On 8.6.2011, at 23.04, Xin LI wrote:

> A feature of Cyrus-IMAPd I really missed after migrated to Dovecot is
> their optional "duplicate suppression", which eliminates duplicate
> message at deliver time, if their envelope sender, recipient and
> message-id matches.  For example, if one subscribes to a mailing list,
> and someone hit "Reply All" to reply to him, there will be two different
> SMTP deliveries, one from the replier's server and one from the mailing
> list.

IMHO that's a good thing. I know some people in this list think they want deduplication, but sometimes when I'm later replying to a message (I've messages over a month old I know need replying) they really would prefer for it to be shown in they inbox when I finally reply to them rather than dovecot list mailbox (which they never end up reading then).

> Is it possible to do the same on latest Dovecot?  (Looking at the
> documentation it seems not?)  Or is there some better ways to implement
> the same functionality?

I'm not planning on implementing anything like that.