[Dovecot] [OT] On-delivery deduplication?

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Thu Jun 9 02:05:08 EEST 2011

On 09/06/11 00:47, Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 06/08/2011 05:58 PM, Tom Hendrikx wrote: [...]
>>
>> The point is that when you set the headers correctly on your
>> message, a reply from someone on your message will not generate a
>> duplicate in the first place, thereby eliminating your problem even
>> before it exists :)
>
> To add a data point, this message was a "reply-to-all" in Thunderbird
> 3.1.10.  It included Tom's address, ignoring the reply-to: header.

Actually I only set the reply-to header (by hand) on the message in
which I said that I did that, and not on the second one, because I am
lazy and there is no tb plugin to make my life easier. Please try again
on the correct message.

> Considering Thunderbird's popularity, just using a reply-to: header
> won't solve the duplicate message "problem".  This is especially true
> on open mail lists, like those at kernel.org, where "reply-to-all" is
> expected of participants.

I use Thunderbird too, and I did test what I documented. To be sure,
please check the headers of both messages.

I don't use this practice often (depends on the ml, and the ppl on it),
but some time ago the duplicate issue irritated me enough to spend a
good thought at what the real problem was. Just shared my results,
especially since they are apparently non-obvious :)

But maybe we're getting a bit off-topic. After all this is a list about
dovecot and IMAP-related stuff.

--
Regards,
	Tom