[Dovecot] thunderbird not receiving new incoming mail: Timeout while waiting for lock for transaction log file

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jun 12 20:36:14 EEST 2011

On 6/12/11 12:34 AM, Noah Garrett Wallach wrote:
> I am running dovecot 1.0.10 and thunderbird 3.1.10 for OSX 10.6.7
> and I am finding that new imap mail is not coming into my INBOX folder
> on thunderbird.
>
> there is an error message "Timeout while waiting for lock for
> transaction log file" in the syslog
>
> here is my INBOX .imap dir
>
> ~/mail/.imap/INBOX$ ls -l
> total 75100K
> -rw------- 1 blah blah 1462024 Jun 11 20:17 dovecot.index
> -rw------- 1 blah blah 75153408 Jun 11 20:17 dovecot.index.cache
> -rw------- 1 blah blah 1464 Jun 11 20:17 dovecot.index.log
> -rw------- 1 blah blah 195812 Jun 11 17:23 dovecot.index.log.2
>
> what is the best way to troubleshoot this problem? what else can I look at?

   Hey there Noah, long time no see!

   Here, if I'm not mistaken, one imap process is waiting for a lock on
dovecot.index.log while another imap process already has it locked.

   Are your spools on an NFS-mounted filesystem?  That
dovecot.index.cache file is gigantic; how big is the spool itself?  If
it's big, and it's in mbox format, and the machine is swamped, that sync
could easily take long enough to cause another imap process to time out
waiting for the lock.

   Man, can you imagine how awesome our mail servers would've been if we
had Dovecot back in the Digex days in the mid-90s?  Oh, to have a time
machine..

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire