[Dovecot] Timeout during APPEND

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Mon Jun 13 11:11:38 EEST 2011

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck at madduck.net> [2011.06.13.1002 +0200]:
> One user reports continuous problems synchronising her mailbox via
> IMAP (offlineimap, via SSH tunnel or SSL socket). It seems that she
> has a large, locally-created message, but the uplink bandwidth seems
> to be not enough to push it before dovecot times out the APPEND
> command.

Upon further inspection, we found that the message *does* get saved
remotely. Hence, this seems like an offlineimap problem, timing out
because it receives no responses to APPEND (because the transfer
takes so long). The transfer actually completes, but offlineimap
will have given up by then already.

Has anyone else seen this?

Can you confirm this behaviour?

What should offlineimap be doing differently?

Thanks,

because light travels faster than sound,
some people appear to be intelligent,
until you hear them speak.

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net