[Dovecot] Gmail like virtual mailboxes

Aleve Sicofante asicofante at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 17:27:40 EEST 2011

Thank you so much for the reply Timo.

2011/6/13 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:
>> First of all: can it be done?
>
> Not easily. You could create one virtual Dovecot folder for each IMAP
> keyword,

How do I do that? Can you point me to some part of the wiki that explains it?

> but the client side would be problematic. You'd need to have
> some way of setting the keywords, and just about no clients support
> that. I guess another way of setting keywords could be by using the
> regular "copy message" feature of clients, where instead of actually
> copying it would just set a keyword.

I'm probably designing a client myself (or hiring someone to do it).
I'm in the "we'll cross that bridge when we get there" phase. (I agree
there are no clients handling IMAP keywords properly, but before I
design and implement one, I'm researching IMAP servers that can
provide the feature.)

> Another problem is that keywords are a very restricted subset of ASCII.
> There have been talk in imap-protocol mailing list about expanding this
> a few weeks ago.

That's interesting. Can you point me to the discussion?

How do you feel about the way Courier implements IMAP keywords? They
seem to allow for an unlimited number of arbitrary keywords.

--
Aleve Sicofante