[Dovecot] ACL Groups

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Tue Jun 14 23:18:49 EEST 2011

 From the wiki:

ACL groups support works by returning a comma-separated acl_groups extra
field <http://wiki2.dovecot.org/UserDatabase/ExtraFields> from userdb,
which contains all the groups the user belongs to. User's UNIX groups
have no effect on ACLs (you can "enable" them by using a special
post-login script <http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PostLoginScripting>).

I've read that over several times - I still don't understand that.  Are
"ACL Groups" defined and managed by Dovecot - and described somewhere
else in the docs - or are they UNIX groups that previously had no affect
on mail access but by being listed in the "acl_groups" field they now
have relevance?
--
Daniel