[Dovecot] Removal of mailist duplicates?

Peter Bell peter at bellfamily.org.uk
Thu Jun 16 17:40:56 EEST 2011

On Thursday, 16 June, 2011 07:38 PM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2011-06-16 7:38 AM, Ron Leach wrote:
>> I usually reply (all) to lists AND suppress the copy going to the OP.
>
> I used to have to do that, so I sure was glad when Thunderbird
> implemented the Reply-To-List function... now I just press CTRL-SHIFT-L,
> and if nothing happens I know the list is one of the brain dead ones
> that doesn't have proper list headers (like the yahoo lists), and then I
> fall back to the old CTRL-SHIFT-R (Reply All) and then delete the one to
> the OP...

Indeed, both respondents to my post have taken care to only reply to
list, however, here is an extract from the headers of an old post:

 > To: Peter Bell <peter at bellfamily.org.uk>
 > Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 15:26:32 +0300
 > Subject: Re: [Dovecot] Error messages in log

I would have expected to see two copies of this post - preferably one in
my normal inbox, the other redirected by pigeonhole, to my dovecot
mailist folder.  However, I could only find a single copy (in my dovecot
folder) so have to believe that something, somewhere, eliminated the
duplicate.

My curiosity was aroused because I received a reply on another mailist,
before I had configured a separate folder and sieve filter for it.  In
that case, the message which survived was the one sent directly to my
inbox - the copy to the mailist disappeared.  This makes me think the
the duplicate removal must be happening somewhere in
pigeonhole/dovecot/thunderbird since none of the stages before those
would have any knowledge about the existence of the separate folder.
However, I have have searched in the configurations, and failed to find
any configuration setting which controls duplicate removal.

I'm not unhappy that I only see a single copy, but I would like to know
what became of the other one - I feel uneasy when things disappear
without explanation!

BTW, I used Thunderbird's 'reply list' button when posting this, so the
only copy should be the one to the mailist.