[Dovecot] Change passwd backend over cron: what happens if changes while reading?

Denny Schierz linuxmail at 4lin.net
Wed Jun 22 14:19:31 EEST 2011

hi,

I want to use two backends für DoveCot. One generated file from the LDAP
tree, and the real LDAP.

The first backend is generated from a cronjob thats reads the whole ldap
server and converts them into a DoveCot passwd file.

I red in the Wiki, if the user password isn't correct, than DoveCot asks
the second backend (LDAP). Is this correct? Because, the the user can
change his password, but Cron generates only every hour the file. So the
password in the passwd-file isn't correct, until Cron runs again.

The second, what happens, if Dovecot reads the file and in the same
moment, Cron generate the new file? Does he change to the second
backend? Or do I (the user) get an error?

cu denny