[Dovecot] Mysql access denied

Johan Hendriks joh.hendriks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 20:39:31 EEST 2011

list at airstreamcomm.net schreef:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:48:58 +0200, Johan Hendriks
> <joh.hendriks at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Op 23-6-2011 15:37, list at airstreamcomm.net [1] schreef:
>> Currently using dovecot 2.0.12 and mysql server 4.0.20 (I know, it's
>> really old) and having issues getting Dovecot to authenticate to the
>> mysql
>> server. We have confirmed that the credentials are correct and the host
>> machine can access the database, however we are getting the following
>> error:
>>
>> Jun 23 08:12:50 hostname dovecot: auth: Error:
> mysql(databaseserver.com):
>> Connect failed to database (database): Access denied for user:
>> 'sqladmin at ip.of.host.machine [2]' (Using password: YES) - waiting for 1
>> seconds
>> before retry
>>
>> We are assuming this has something to do with the password hashing
>> algorithm in older versions of mysql, but we are hoping to confirm this
>> theory and find a solution.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>    This has as far as i can see nothing to do with hashes.
>>   It is the mysql database that disallows the user sqladmin access to the
>> database.
>>   Make sure the user sqladmin has the proper rights to access the
>> database, from the ipadres.
>>
>>   Gr
>>   Johan Hendriks
>>

>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] mailto:list at airstreamcomm.net
>> [2] mailto:sqladmin at ip.of.host.machine
> When talking about hashes I was referring to this wiki article:
> http://wiki1.dovecot.org/MysqlProblems.  As I stated in my email we have
> confirmed that the host can access the database just fine, and the
> credentials are correct in the config for Dovecot.
>
> Thanks.
Well the wiki page you refering to is indeed describing problems with
sha hashes.
But the last line on this page tells you that it is fixed after 1.0rc9
And you mentioned using 2.0.12
So this is not the issue.

Sometimes you need to use the FQDN in the GRANT command within mysql also.
regards,
Johan Hendriks
Double L automatisering