[Dovecot] dovecot security with IPv6

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Jun 24 05:19:47 EEST 2011

That clown is a tad over paranoid...

The only real issue with devices using ipv6 is that most people become
relaxed with security, preferring with ipv4 to do it all on the NAT box,
with ipv6 there is no NAT, so if you have 5 machines, you need to
configure full security on all.
If you're an ISP/OSP/ESP, then you should already have appropriate
security via your router and server, just remember though,
if using  linux you need to use ip6tables  -as well as-  iptables in
your firewall rules script.

There is absolutely NO security risk in exposing any server port to the
net, be it dovecot, apache, or bind ... or, whatever.