[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.0.13 problem with LMTP

Innocenzi, Cinzia cinzia.innocenzi at hp.com
Mon Jun 27 12:23:51 EEST 2011

Hello Simone,

I've been trying for the past days to replicate the problem...

Since we're on a production environment, I can't put dovecot in debug mode and leave it in debug for an entire day, so I've been checking the queue every half an hour and as soon as a mail got stuck, I'd change mail_debug to yes and reload dovecot's config.

Well, everytime I've done this, the mail got delivered except once. Just one time.

On the back end I got this log:

Jun 23 12:17:00 dovecot: lmtp(10680): Connect from a.b.c.d
Jun 23 12:17:00 dovecot: lmtp(10680): Debug: auth input: user at domain.it quota_rule=*:backend=104857600S home=/mnt/mbox1/mailusers/user at domain.it/
Jun 23 12:17:00 dovecot: lmtp(10680): Debug: Added userdb setting: plugin/quota_rule=*:backend=104857600S
Jun 23 12:18:00 dovecot: lmtp(10680): Disconnect from a.b.c.d: Connection closed

I compared the log of the stuck mail with a mail that gets delivered, and I noticed that there are a few more lines of debug... in fact, after the "Debug: Added userdb setting" I see:

Debug: Effective uid
Debug: Quota root
Debug: Quota rule
Debug: maildir++
saved mail to INBOX
Connection closed

I hope this info can help.

Regards

CINZIA INNOCENZI
Technical Consulting
HP Enterprise Services
Telephone +39 06.6542.5758
Email cinzia.innocenzi at hp.com
Via Achille Campanile, 85 / Rome, Italy  00143