[Dovecot] Virtual Servers

Jonathan Tripathy jonnyt at abpni.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 04:21:00 EEST 2011

> I hope this is a lightly used server and does not do any real level of
> mail traffic else you'll soon regret running in any VM :)

Don't mean to start a flame war, but your statement above is just simply
inaccurate. The main difference between a virtual server and a physical
server is that resources are contended with other VMs in the virtual
server suitation. So for example, if Dovecot required a lot of
resources, and there were another 1000 idle VMs on the same physical box
as the Dovecot VM, Dovecot would run fine. What is true for any service
(not just Dovecot) is that you need to get the balance right depending
on your server resources requirements and sharing the physical resources
with other VMs in such a way that you don't starve some critical services.

So please stop with the FUD about virtualisation :)

BTW, I'm assuming a proper virtualisation solution such as Xen
Paravirtualisation.