[Dovecot] Virtual Servers

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Tue Jun 28 07:32:09 EEST 2011

On 6/27/2011 6:06 PM, Noel Butler wrote:
> I hope this is a lightly used server and does not do any real level of
> mail traffic else you'll soon regret running in any VM :)
Just all the mailing lists I subscribe to :)

>> means NFS.  My initial testing shows NFS results in a dramatically
>> reduced performance for Dovecot.  Given that this NFS access is going to
>
> Hrmmm, something amiss somewhere then, I'd put it down to the VM, many
> people on this list use NFS
> and have no problems.

Well - the wiki tells me, "Both the mmap_disable and indexing to NFS
will result in a notable performance hit."
> Though you have not mentioned what version you run, on 1.2.x using:
>
> mmap_disable = yes
> mail_nfs_storage = yes
> mail_nfs_index = yes
Why do people insist on specifics :) ?  At the moment, 2.0.13.

Something still a bit unclear - cue Timo interjection here.  The
parameters listed for nfs installations (mmap_disable,
doctlock_use_excl, mail_nfs_storage, mail_nfs_index) - are they
necessary for data integrity, and/or do they compensate for NFS latency
and improve performance?  My confusion stems from the unusual? condition
where the mail store is NFS based - but is otherwise dedicated to the
single Dovecot instance, so simultaneous writes & locking *shouldn't* be
a concern.

Particularly as I'm using mdbox, local index storage seems inappropriate
(as I don't want any critical data stored within a virtual image).
--
Daniel