[Dovecot] what to expect from changing index location

Tue Jun 28 20:29:38 EEST 2011

On 2011-06-28 12:13 PM, Davide Vaghetti wrote:
> mail_location = mdbox:/var/vmail/%-1.1u/%u/mdbox
>
> and I want to switch to
>
> mail_location =
> mdbox:/var/vmail/%-1.1u/%u/mdbox:INDEX=/var/indexes/%-1.1u/%u/
>
> But I cannot figure out a pair of things:
>
> - - do the switch trigger the rebuilding of the index files?
>
> - - can I get rid of all the old index files?

I'm by no means an expert, but with that many users I think if you did
this in one shot (all indexes being rebuilt simultaneously as users
logged in) your system would slow to a crawl...

I would first rsync the existing indexes over live, then stop dovecot,
do another quick rsync of the indexes, then make the change and restart
dovecot...

That will minimize the impact (rebuilding of indexes)...

--

Best regards,

Charles