[Dovecot] Rawlogging uid

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jun 30 07:30:10 EEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 00:31 +0300, Mikko Lehto wrote:

> I am about to run a setup where users are virtual and their mail is owned by
> vmail user. I bumped into minor client issue and needed to enable rawlogging
> according to http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog
>
> This is what was printed to log at first try:
> Jun 29 21:46:25 (null)Fatal: This process must not be run as root
>
> I changed service postlogin to contain "user = vmail" and above
> error disapperead. I also tried "user = dovecot" which seem to work
> as well.
>
> Is vmail or dovecot user more appropriate for raw logging?

rawlog looks for ~/dovecot.rawlog/ directory and tries to write there.
It doesn't really matter what the user is as long as it can write there.
I find it a bit weird if "dovecot" user managed to write there..

You could also have given -d parameter to script-login and it would have
figured out the user automatically.

Yes, fixed: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/rev/ed0688858e59