[Dovecot] dovecot 1.2.3: TB fails to unsubscribe folder after deletion

Bruno Tréguier Bruno.Treguier at shom.fr
Mon Mar 7 17:07:25 EET 2011

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 12:12 +0200, Max Dittrich wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running dovecot 1.2.3 with "imap_client_workarounds =
>> tb-extra-mailbox-sep" and noticed that after deleting a folder (moving
>> to Trash and emptying it on exit) that folder in Trash still keeps
>> subscribed.
>> I think the reason for that behavior is that the call for
>> mailbox_list_set_subscribed() in imap/cmd-subscribe.c (line 84) is fed
>> with the original mailbox name and not the stripped version in
>> verify_name. Assigning verify_name to mailbox in the
>> workaround-conditional fixes this issue for me.
>
> Well, I guess it was kind of intentional and this isn't necessarily
> always a problem. TB subscribes mailbox as "box/" and unsubscribes it as
> "box/". Dovecot internally also stores it as "box/" so all of that
> should be ok. Except if some other client subscribes to it, or perhaps
> TB doesn't always subscribe to it as "box/".
>
> Anyway.. http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/339be408f49a should help.

Hi Timo,

Sorry to "unbury" such an old patch, but it seems to be related to a bug
I'm seeing right now, that I described in a mail sent on Thursday. In
short, TB *and* OE, when talking to a Dovecot server using an mbox
backend, complain with messages stating that "the mailbox isn't
selectable", for "folders of folders" mailbox types.

You say that Dovecot internally stores folders of folders as "box/"
(just as it is subscribed/unsubsribed to by TB). However, the patch you
mention above changes this behaviour and Dovecot now stores folders of
folders as "box" with no trailing slash. This seems to break things on
the Dovecot side, for mbox backend users, as there is no way left to
distinguish between both kinds of folders. As a consequence, there is an
inconsistency between the way the folder is created (as a directory on
the filesystem) and the way it is advertised in the .subscription file
(without the trailing "/"). Is this really meant ?

The behaviour was different before that patch, and notably in the 1.1
branch, that I still use on another server: the subscribed mailboxes
bear a trailing slash in the .subscriptions file.

Best regards,

Bruno

--
- Service Hydrographique et Oceanographique de la Marine - DO/MGS/INF
-  13, rue du Chatellier -  CS 92803  - 29228 Brest Cedex 2, FRANCE
-     Phone: +33 2 98 22 17 49  -  Email: Bruno.Treguier at shom.fr