[Dovecot] RFE: IMAP LIST Extension for Special-Use Mailboxes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Mar 12 01:39:20 EET 2011

On 11.3.2011, at 23.57, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:

> would you consider adding support for "IMAP LIST Extension for Special-Use
> Mailboxes" <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6154.txt> any time near in the
> future?

This has been requested before. I'm still just wondering what would be a good way to configure this. The possibilities are basically:

a) imap_specialuse = \Drafts Drafts \Sent "Sent Messages" ..etc..

b)
imap_specialuse_drafts = Drafts
imap_specialuse_sent = Sent Messages
..etc..

c) imap_specialuse = /etc/dovecot/specialuse.conf.ext
and the file contains:

\Sent Sent Messages
\Drafts Drafts
..etc..

I don't really like any of them. Maybe there's a d) that I haven't thought of yet.

The spec also supports the possibility of allowing clients to move the tags around, and of course it would be nice if Dovecot supported that too. Only c) makes it even theoretically possible by having imap_specialuse = ~/.dovecot.specialuse