[Dovecot] RFE: IMAP LIST Extension for Special-Use Mailboxes

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Sat Mar 12 22:48:38 EET 2011

* Charles Marcus <dovecot at dovecot.org>:
> On 2011-03-11 5:31 PM, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> > Any client that connects to such a server can search for a folder that has
> > been attributed as "Sent".
> >
> > No need to create a new folder "Sent Items" if there's a special folder marked
> > as \Sent. Same goes for clients that insist on calling it "sent" or "Gesendete
> > Objekte" or ...
>
> Are there any clients that would actually work this way if it was
> implemented?? Outlook being the main culprit here I assume... ;)

I don't know of any yet. The RFC is brandnew. But I plan to ask at relevant
mailing lists for adoption of the new feature. AFAIK iPhone and gmail actually
had done something simliar (XLIST) for their clients and servers.

As for Outlook I am left to speculation. I believe Outlook will be the last,
if at all, to work on any IMAP client feature richness. It would cannibalise
their own market i.e. using Outlook as Exchange client.

But Thunderbird, Apple Mail, smartphone IMAP clients and of course webmail
clients will hopefully adopt the standard. It should be in their interest to
implement a feature that mobilizes or eases mobilization in a world full of
mobile users.

p at rick

--
state of mind
Digitale Kommunikation

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666