[Dovecot] questions/problems virtual plugin pop3 leave copies on the server for x days then delete

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Sun Mar 13 14:02:18 EET 2011

Am 13.03.2011 12:40, schrieb Robert Schetterer:
> Hi Timo, i allready asked about this , and did some fixes , but it isnt
> working yet ,as far i have a setup like
>

> namespace default {
>  # type = private
>   separator = /
>   prefix = ""
>   list = yes
> #  hidden = no
>   subscriptions = yes
> }
>
> namespace virtual {
>  # type = private
>   prefix = "virtual/"
>   separator = /
> location = virtual:/etc/dovecot/virtual:LAYOUT=maildir++:INDEX=~/virtual
>   hidden = yes
>   list = no
>   subscriptions= no
> }
>
> namespace real {
>  # type = private
>   prefix = "RealMails/"
>   separator = /
>   list = no
>   hidden = yes
> }
>
> pop3_enable_last = yes
> pop3_reuse_xuidl = no
> pop3_uidl_format = %g
> pop3_logout_format = top=%t/%p, retr=%r/%b, del=%d/%m, size=%s
> mail_max_userip_connections = 100
> mail_plugins = expire virtual quota mail_log fts fts_squat notify
> pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
>

> RealMails/
> RealMails/*
> -RealMails/Trash
> -RealMails/Trash/*
> -RealMails/Sent
> -RealMails/Sent/*
> -RealMails/Templates
> -RealMails/Templates/*
> -RealMails/Drafts
> -RealMails/Drafts/*
> -RealMails/Archives
> -RealMails/Archives/*
>  unseen
>
> normally this works as expected
>

> some users want to use
> leave copies messages on the server for x days then delete via pop3
>
> i tested this with thunderbird
>  and looked into the maildir, it seems
> that the mails stay in "new" folder of the maildir
> after i downloaded via pop3
> ( i am not sure is this expected ? , i would thought they get to cur   )
> thunderbird does not download this mails again ( good ), but it doesnt
> delete them from maildir new ever( bad ) , so the whole leave copy and
> delete after x days function pop3 is not working
>
> i am not quite sure if there is relation to virtual namespaces
> ( which i like to use in future too ) , but have to renable this feature
> working any idea?

ok i have compared this with a nearly equal setupped server but without
virtual plugin, but with same thunderbird functions
here the mail gets into mail cur after pop3 download, and gets deleted
on the server if i delete them in tb pop3 inbox ( wich is another option
which should work equal as delete after x days ) so i am nearly sure
there is a problem with virtual plugin or in my using it
speculate mail cant be found to delete if it stays in maildir new

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria