[Dovecot] Master user creds for proxy stored statically/locally?

Dennis Guhl dg at dguhl.org
Mon Mar 14 01:19:45 EET 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 03:26:58PM -0400, Edward Carraro wrote:
> I have successfully set up the master user on the destination server
> (2.0.11) and tests have worked. now I'm working on the proxy
> Before I had the proxy just forward everything to the backend and had the
> destination server do the authentication.
>
> My authentication is done via LDAP but not really sure how to append the
> master user and password to the users credentials after authentication is
> done.

You should not save the master users credentials with the mail user
credentials. Instead you should use a dedicated userdb and passdb.

For further reference have a look at
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication/MasterUsers.

> id rather not have the master user/pass in each users ldap entry and
> returned after doing a lookup or add a destuser field for each user...
> basically i prefer not having to add any new attributes to LDAP
>
> Can the information be stored locally in a file on the proxy? do i just make
> the same master user file that I have on the backend?

I don't undestand your question. You can either forward plaintext
credentials to your backend or authenticate on your proxy and go with
the proxys master user to your backend
(http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/Proxy).

Dennis