[Dovecot] questions/problems virtual plugin pop3 leave copies on the server for x days then delete

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Wed Mar 16 21:56:16 EET 2011

Am 16.03.2011 18:33, schrieb Timo Sirainen:
> On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 18:29 +0100, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>
>> if users use both pop3 ( with stay mails on the server ) and imap
>> mails get to cur wtih seen flag ( as far i know by small tests ) if they
>> connect via imap
>> the problem users mostly use outlook 2010/2007 no webmail etc
>> and my test client is thunderbird ( current stable )
>
> Are you talking about the feature of POP3 clients deleting mails after x
> days (not some server cronjob)? I don't think mail being in new/ or cur/
> should affect that, because POP3 doesn't even know about it.
>
> I wonder how POP3 clients would even know how long the mail has been in
> server..

youre right difficult to say , might ask some developer of mail clients
this option exists since ever in most pop3 clients, and was wide used
before imap comes more public known

i only know for getmail, getmail is building a list about what allready
downloaded via pop3 so it should be independent whatever the server
reports, no idea how its done by thunderbird etc, perhaps some stuff
with date of mails, or hash comparing...

thunderbirds default on pop3 is leave copy on the server for 14 days
also there is an option for delete mails at once , when they are deleted
from inbox to trash of the pop3 local account trash

where you have the option to use one local pop3 box for all accounts
or use seperate for each account ( some pseudo virtual config )

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria