[Dovecot] SSL Compatibility? SNI vs SAN (Subject Alternative Names) and multiple domains

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Mar 17 01:21:50 EET 2011

Hi

> How big of an issue is a cert with half a dozen or a dozen SANs
> attached?  Do most mail clients handle that sort of certificate properly
> in order to access their mailboxes?

I think it's been discussed here before, but roughly speaking yes it
works fine.  I use it on my mailservers and don't obviously see problems
with common clients.

I think in the archives you might find that there are a few less common
clients which aren't happy, but I think all modern MS clients, and the
other big alternatives are fine?

I bought from godaddy because it was quite cheap to get such a cert...

Good luck

Ed W