[Dovecot] maildir location

upen upendra.gandhi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 19:41:42 EET 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM, upen <upendra.gandhi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If Postfix delivers the mails, rather than Dovecot LDA, then yes you'll
>> need to configure Postfix also to deliver correctly. Maybe it would be
>> easier to just switch to Dovecot LDA: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA
>
> Thanks Timo for quick confirmation and the link for setting up dovecot as LDA.
>
> I made below changes to postfix's main.cf
>
> mailbox_command = /usr/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda ( verified that's
> correct location for file)
>
> postfix reload
>
> The changed mail_location as  mail_location = maildir:/localdir/mail/%u
>
> dovecot restart
>
> /var/log/messages shows, below error,
>
> dovecot: pop3(username): Error: user username: Initialization failed:
> Initializing mail storage from mail_location setting failed:
> stat(/localdir/mail/username) failed: Permission denied
> (euid=1002(username) egid=10(wheel) missing +x perm: /localdir/mail,
> euid is not dir owner)
>
> Any idea what is going wrong?

Changed permissions on root directories, don't know if this is secure
or not but it worked. I see cur, tmp, new and other files created
under local storage now.

Set permissions as below,

#ls -ald /localdir
drwxrwxrwx 31 root root 12288 Mar 17 10:48 /localdir/

# ls -ald /localdir/mail
drwxrwxrwx 3 dovecot dovecot 4096 Mar 17 10:49 /localdir/mail

mkdir /localdir/mail/username
chown username:group  /localdir/mail/username
chmod 700  /localdir/mail/username

Do you think it is okay to keep these perms ?