[Dovecot] DOVECOT TO HAVE MULTIPLE AUTHENTICATION MECHANISM FOR A PARTICULAR USER

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Mar 21 18:54:24 EET 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 13:15 +0530, PARTH MONGA wrote:

> IS IT POSSIBLE IN DOVECOT TO HAVE MULTIPLE AUTHENTICATION MECHANISM  FOR A
> PARTICULAR USER
>
> as u provided me in the link
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication/MultipleDatabases
>
> <http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication/MultipleDatabases>The link is
> applied to all the users( system + virtual) , which increased my overhead of
> fetching data
> can i have the same for a particular user ( local + database ) auth
> mecahnism

The passdb/userdb lookups are done in the order as specified in config
file. You can't tell Dovecot to only look up some users from one
database. But if the first passdb/userdb is really fast (e.g. local
passwd or passwd-file) then it basically doesn't matter, because the
extra cost isn't noticeable.