[Dovecot] Virtual and system users with public mailboxes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Mar 21 19:28:03 EET 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 15:46 -0700, Kendall Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 18:35 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 11:54 -0700, Kendall Shaw wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am running dovecot 1.2.9 and postfix, and I am trying to setup a
> > > public mailbox. My thought is that there would be one system user with
> > > a sieve script to deliver messages to the public mailbox. And, I would
> > > like to give virtual users access to the mailbox.
> >
> > Why can't the public mail delivery user be virtual as well?
>
> If the users that I want to have shell access (ubuntu 10.04) are virtual
> users, wouldn't I have to duplicate their credentials, for dovecot?

You can use both system and virtual users if you want to. You'll just
need to set the public mailbox permissions such that everyone has access
to them.

Alternatively you could use virtual passdb + system passdb, but a single
virtual userdb for everyone. Then you would have less trouble with
permissions.