[Dovecot] dsync inbox conversion problem (mbox -> mdbox)

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Tue Mar 22 13:26:58 EET 2011

On 22/03/2011 09:09, Sergiy Kyrylkov wrote:
> We are trying to convert all mbox mail on our systems to mdbox using
> dsync, in order to be able to use email sub-folders in Thunderbird.

You should not be using 2.0 beta6. You should be using 2.0.11 or later.

You can have folders containing both messages and folders under mbox.
See http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MboxChildFolders.

But I say again, you should not be using 2.0 beta6. You should be using
2.0.11 or later.

> Everything works fine for non-inbox folders, however the inbox folders
> are not getting converted.
>
> We used:
>
> *dsync -v convert mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u*
>
> *dovecot --version*
> 2.0.beta6 (3156315704ef) (shipping with RHEL6/SL6)

Early 2.0.x supposedly stable versions had many many problems which
means you should under no circumstances attempt to use them, LET ALONE
2.0 beta versions.

You really should upgrade to 2.0.<latest> (currently 2.0.11).

I will have zero sympathy for whining along the lines of:

- "Well that's what's in my distro"
- "My employer only allows bona fide distro packages"

Did I mention you should be using 2.0.11 or later? I can't remember.
Anyway, you should be using 2.0.11 or later.

Bill