[Dovecot] Configure Dovecot For IMAP Only?

Carlos Mennens carloswill at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 21:21:07 EET 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Kendall Shaw <kshaw at kendallshaw.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 13:20 -0400, Carlos Mennens wrote:
>> I've install Dovecot 2.0.11-1 on my Linux server and all the guides
>> and tutorials I've found on Google don't work since I'm running 2.x
>> and it seems most guides were done with 1.x.

>> Can anyone please tell me what I need to add to get this very basic
>> IMAP server up and running?
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/

I did see that and I guess I don't really see a template for
parameters needed in the configuration. Is there nothing on the Wiki
or anywhere that I could just use as a configuration file template? My
old 1.x config was very small and simple:

auth_mechanisms = plain login
mail_location = maildir:~/mail
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
protocols = imap
service auth {
  unix_listener auth-client {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
  user = root
}
ssl_cert = </some/dir/cert.pem
ssl_key = </some/dir/key.pem
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
#protocol imap {
#  imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail tb-extra-mailbox-sep

I just had users authenticating via PAM, using TLS, and connecting on
IMAP only. The Wiki gives great info but doesn't help me generate a
dovecot.conf file from what I can see. It does a great job of
explaining all possible scenarios for many platforms. Is my
configuration above not correct for Dovecot 2.0.11?