[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.0.9: Thunderbird 3.1.9: Very slow while open sent folder with many (4k>) mails

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Thu Mar 24 18:51:57 EET 2011

On 03/24/2011 09:35 AM, Denny Schierz wrote:
> hi,
>
> one customer told us, that he has performance problem in his Thunderbird
> 3.1.9, while open his sent folder, which has round about 4000 mails in
> it, and 20k in his Inbox. For example TB, tries to sync the sent-folder
> list (over SSL) from the sent folder for now over 15min.
>
> In the log, I can't see any strange things, so for me, Dovecot works ok.
>
> Maybe, I should use better cache options?
>
> Now he tries to move many messages to separate folders, but thats also a
> bit slow. So, is it a TB problem, with so many messages?
>

> Our config:
<snip>

Recent versions of TB (3.1.9 included) cache all messages locally (on
client computer) by default. This is fine for local connections, but on
remote connections with a lot of mail, it takes a while for all that to
download. Same thing for moving large amounts of messages around. Once
it's done though, performance shouldn't be too bad.

If the problem persists, I would have the customer change their account
settings in the Synchronization & Storage section to something more
appropriate to their situation.

--
-Eric 'shubes'