[Dovecot] fstat no such file or directory error

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Mar 26 01:24:43 EET 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 13:19 -0400, Mark Dieterich wrote:

> IMAP(<username>): Transaction log dovecot.index.log: duplicate
> transaction log sequence (37)

This is the reason everything else messes up..

> IMAP(<username>): fscking index file dovecot.index
> IMAP(<username>): fstat() failed with index file
> dovecot.index: No such file or directory

fstat() should never return ENOENT. With NFS if the file is gone, it
should be ESTALE. See if the attached patch helps.

> After the fstat message shows up, there doesn't appear to be anything on
> the user side that can be done to fix the problem.  We've seen multiple
> instances where the file dovecot is complaining about not existing is
> visible, readable, and writable by the user in question, but dovecot is
> convinced it's not.  The only way we've found to fix this issue is to
> kill off all user connections.  When the user reconnects, then all
> appears to work fine.  We have not found a way to recreate this problem.

I think the problem is that Dovecot doesn't know how to deal with the
failing ENOENT, so it just keeps on giving failures.

> Some details:
>
> # 1.2.15: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
> # OS: Linux 2.6.26-2-686 i686 Debian 5.0.8
>
> Mail files are stored on NFS.  All imap connections for a given user are
> are mapped to a particular server at any given time.

What about new mail deliveries? Are you using deliver?