[Dovecot] Warning: SSL is disabled because global ssl=no, ignoring ssl=yes for subsection

Peter Bell peter at bellfamily.org.uk
Mon May 2 13:19:33 EEST 2011

Hi all,

This is my first message to the list.

I've been experimenting with running dovecot on my unRAID server
(basically, a parity-protected array of disks, running on a slackware
13.1 platform).

Someone on the unRAID forum had built a binary distribution of dovecot
1.1.20 and I got this up and running without too much trouble.

Today, I've been building the latest dovecot release (2.0.12) and
getting this up and running.  My biggest problem has been reconstructing
the configuration file but, after a few diversions, I'm now back up and
running, with access to my mail once more.

However, I'm just a little bit miffed that I can't get rid of this warning.

My configuration:
root at Tower:~# doveconf -n
# 2.0.12: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
doveconf: Warning: SSL is disabled because global ssl=no, ignoring
ssl=yes for subsection
# OS: Linux 2.6.36.2-unRAID i686 Slackware 13.1.0 fuse.shfs
disable_plaintext_auth = no
listen = *
mail_location = maildir:/mnt/user/Maildir/%u
passdb {
   args = /etc/passwd.dovecot
   driver = passwd-file
}
protocols = imap
service auth {
   user = root
}
service imap-login {
   inet_listener imap {
     port = 143
   }
}
ssl = no
userdb {
   args = /etc/passwd.dovecot
   driver = passwd-file
}
root at Tower:~#

Can someone point me to where the (implicit?) ssl=yes is coming from?

In the meantime I will have a play at mail fetching, comparing dumping
the mails straight into maildir, with using the dovecote lda.

Thanks for any advice.