[Dovecot] Dovecot very slow on a mailbox with > 700 IMAP Folders

Becker, Ronny ronny.becker at bioscientia.de
Thu May 5 11:04:54 EEST 2011

Hello,
I am using Dovecot 1.2.9 on a 32bit on Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS.

We got one user who uses folders in an "exessive" way. He has got 704
subscribed folders. That means about nearly 3000 folders on the
filesystem. Since ~ a week the user couldn't work because of timeouts
when connecting to Dovecot (IMAP). Thunderbird doesn't show any folders
- timeout - the webmail System (Groupoffice) only presents the INBOX.

I did some debugging and found that a lsub "" "*" that is used by
Thunderbird takes > 5 minutes. Thunderbird disconnects after ~1 Minute
showing the timeout. I entered the command directly via port
communication. So this is no clientside problem. But there is no error
message or something else in any logs.

I did some debugging with strace, too. It's about 22MB only for running
the lsub command !? The Mailbox size is about ~2.2GB, so this should be
no problem. The maximum subfolder level is about 13 - could this be a
problem? You can find the structure (simply shown) attached.

Thanks for any help!!

Best regards
Ronny Becker

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Ronny Becker

Institut für Medizinische Diagnostik GmbH
Ingelheim / Datenverarbeitung
Konrad Adenauer Strasse 17
55218 Ingelheim
Telefon: 06132 781 249
Fax: 06132 781 9 249

ronny.becker at bioscientia.de
www.bioscientia.de

Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung mit Sitz in 55218 Ingelheim am Rhein, eingetragen im Handelsregister des Amtsgerichts Mainz unter HRB 21166.
Geschäftsführer: PD. Dr. med. Markus Nauck und Dipl.-Vw. Johannes Brill.
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Prof. Dr. med. Bernd Heicke.
Diese E-Mail kann vertrauliche oder auf andere Weise geschützte Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, löschen Sie diese bitte von Ihrem System und setzen Sie uns unverzüglich von dem Vorfall in Kenntnis.
USt-ID-Nr. DE 811138229

___

Limited liability company with registered office in 55218 Ingelheim am Rhein, registered with the commercial register of the local court of Mainz under HRB 21166.
Managing directors: PD Dr. med. Markus Nauck and Dipl.-Vw. Johannes Brill.
Chairman of the supervisory board: Prof. Dr. med. Bernd Heicke.
This e-mail may contain confidential or otherwise privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform us immediately and delete the e-mail from your system.
VAT-ID-Nr. DE 811138229