[Dovecot] IMAP push

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Fri May 6 16:57:23 EEST 2011

Am 06.05.2011 13:11, schrieb Marc Patermann:
> Hi,
>
> Dennis Guhl schrieb am 05.05.2011 12:58 Uhr:
>> On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 03:53:29PM +0530, Janantha Marasinghe wrote:
>>> Im running dovecot v2 and want to know if it supports IMAP push
>>> capabilities.
>>
>> Dovecot supports IMAP IDLE as in RFC 2177
>> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2177).
>>
>>> I have a few client who has blackberries, iphones and tabs.
>>
>> Blackberries are using their own proprietary form of push service in
>> conjunction a Blackberry Enterprise Server. None the less they are
>> able to use IMAP IDLE like iPhones and other smartphones or tablet PCs.
> There ist Z-Push, which I haven't tested, yet.
> http://z-push.sourceforge.net/soswp/
> There is even a session called "Connecting mobile Devices with Z-Push
> and Zarafa/Dovecot" at the "Mailserver-Konferenz", Berlin 26th of May.
> :)
> http://www.heinlein-support.de/mailserver-konferenz/2011/vortrag/mobile-geraete-mit-z-push-und-zarafa-dovecot
>

> Marc

imap push means something like imap lemonade

http://www.lemonadeformobiles.com/

which is in the roadmap for dovecot , but not urgent
unless there not so many clients using it
meanwhile z-push is a good alternative, normally install with apache
webserver php on the dovecot server

on android use k9 mail as best imap solution ( no need for z-push etc )
dont know about good alternative imap clients vor iphone or blackberry

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria