[Dovecot] Renaming maildir files, UIDs and mail clients

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon May 9 20:49:38 EEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 09:44 +0200, Helge Milde wrote:

> Now for my questions:
> 1. How crucial is it to have the S= in the basename when using zlib?
> The wiki page mentions quota problems, which we're not using, but also "random failures"...

I'm not entirely sure if there is something in the code that relies on
it being correct.

> 2. Would W= suffice in this regard?

No.

> 3. If S=<size> *is* needed, is there a way to minimize the effect from the mail client's perspective?

Yes. Add the ,S=<size> to the dovecot-uidlist files as well, so the UID
doesn't change. If you're using POP3 with UIDLs based on filename you
can also add POP3 UIDLs to dovecot-uidlist with new enough Dovecot
versions.