[Dovecot] performance problems with IMAPS

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Wed May 11 02:28:42 EEST 2011

On 5/10/2011 4:58 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:

> As you may be aware, TB3.x ignores the entire
> premise of
> IMAP in storing messages on the server, trying to make copies of all
> messages, locally.

Yes, this is the default as 95%+ of Thunderbird seats are home/mobile
broadband users.  For corporate use see:

http://wpkg.org/Thunderbird#Prefs

> With my users running with roaming profiles, this easily adds over 1GB
> of locally cached
> mail to each profile that needs to be copied to and from a server each
> time a user logs in
> or out (creating huge lag times for login/logout).

Linda you should be shot for not fixing this already.  1GB roaming
profiles? (gasp)  Bet the switch, server, and storage vendors just love
you. ;)

If you've got some basic script writing ability, or can find something
already written, simply walk the profile directory on the server and add
the necessary lines to each user's prefs.js.  Assuming your workstations
are already configured to delete locally cached roaming profiles at
logoff the problem is now solved for existing users.

For new user profile creation simply create a custom default profile
template.

--
Stan