[Dovecot] Error messages in log

Peter Bell peter at bellfamily.org.uk
Wed May 11 06:35:37 EEST 2011

Hi,

I would like to eliminate some of the error messages which appear in my
dovecot logfile.

I already understand that the message:
doveconf: Warning: SSL is disabled because global ssl=no, ignoring
ssl=yes for subsection
is fixed in the current development code.

However, I also get a lot of:
lda(peter): Error: User peter doesn't have home dir set, disabling
duplicate database
Is there a way to eliminate/supress these messages?  I'm operating with
virtual users, so checking for a home directory doesn't make a lot of
sense. Is there a setting in the .conf file which can control this?

Possibly more concerning is this message:
May 10 23:31:23 imap(peter): Error:
link(/mnt/user/Maildir/peter/dovecot.index.log,
/mnt/user/Maildir/peter/dovecot.index.log.2) failed: Function not
implemented
I'm not sure exactly what I was doing at the time - probably
experimenting with Sieve filters.  Has this compromised my maildir?  I
have already disabled copy with hard links - is there another 'hardlink'
setting available?

Thank you for any advice!

root at Tower:~# doveconf -n
# 2.0.12: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
doveconf: Warning: SSL is disabled because global ssl=no, ignoring
ssl=yes for subsection
doveconf: Warning: SSL is disabled because global ssl=no, ignoring
ssl=yes for subsection
# OS: Linux 2.6.36.2-unRAID i686 Slackware 13.1.0 fuse.shfs
disable_plaintext_auth = no
listen = *
log_path = /var/log/mail.log
mail_location = maildir:/mnt/user/Maildir/%u
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = no
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date
passdb {
   args = /etc/passwd.dovecot
   driver = passwd-file
}
plugin {
   sieve = /mnt/user/Maildir/%u/.dovecot.sieve
   sieve_dir = /mnt/user/Maildir/%u/
   sieve_global_path = /var/lib/dovecot/default.sieve
}
postmaster_address = postmaster at bellfamily.org.uk
protocols = imap sieve
service auth {