[Dovecot] Running 1.x and 2. x on same machine

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed May 11 14:20:48 EEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 00:21 -0700, email builder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When building from source, is it possible to use "make install" to switch
> between version 1.x and 2.x on the same machine (just for testing)?

I do that all the time.

> Do both versions install the same binaries?

No, but as long as you don't use the other one's extra binaries it
doesn't matter.

> Is configuration from 2.x backward
> compatible with 1.x? (so we can have the newest configuration files on our
> system without bothering to have a second set of 1.x config files)

v2.0 can read most v1.x config files, but it'll give a lot of warnings
about it. Their default configs are anyway in different locations. I
just keep them both:

v1.x: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
v2.x: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

> Or instead should we be changing something like the installation and config
> directorie for one of the versions when we install it (how?).

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/dovecot-2.0