[Dovecot] v1.1.20 vs v1.2 & v2.0

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Wed May 25 17:35:22 EEST 2011

On 23/05/2011 20:47, Adam wrote:
> I am currently running v1.1.20 and was wondering if there is any
> compelling reason to upgrade to v1.2 or v2.0?
>
> For example is there any security updates in v1.2 or v2.0 that aren't
> included in v1.1.20?
>
> The other major thing I would be interested in knowing is there any
> speed enhancements in the newer versions?  I am using basic PAM Auth
> and Maildir mailboxes on a Linux box.  Let me know if you need any
> more information to answer my questions.

1.1 doesn't appear to have been touched since 2009-11-09
1.2 last is 1.2.17 dated 2011-05-11
2.0 last is 2.0.13 dated 2011-05-11

So it looks like

1.1 is unmaintained
1.2 is maintained for security and bug fixes
2.0 is maintained

The differences between 1.1 and 1.2, and 1.2 and 2.0 can be seen at
http://www.dovecot.org/doc/NEWS-2.0.

A compelling reason for me to use 2.0.x was the inclusion of multi-dbox
/ mdbox ( http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/dbox#Multi-dbox ).

Bill