[Dovecot] IMP, Dovecot and multiple namespaces

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Nov 4 22:47:57 EET 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 09:37 -0500, Rick Romero wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm wondering what the best way is to be backwards compatible with
> Courier mailbox formats and not duplicate mailbox trees with Dovecot.
> Is anyone doing this right now?
>
> My Dovecot 2.0.13 is configured as follows for Namespaces:
>
> namespace {
>    inbox = yes
>    location =
>    prefix =
>    separator = .

Perhaps use '/' separator.

> }
> namespace {
>    hidden = yes
>    inbox = no
>    list = no
>    location =
>    prefix = INBOX.
>    separator = .

Add "alias_for = " here. I also added it to wiki2.

> }
>
> So I should have an INBOX, plus additional root folders - rather than
> the Courier default of all folders being subfolders of the INBOX.
>
> So when I run LIST in IMAP I get -
> 08 LIST "" %
> * LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX"

INBOX.% now matches both INBOX. namespace's mailboxes, and also the
INBOX mailbox's children. If you change the separator to '/', there's a
difference between INBOX.% (compatibility namespace) and INBOX/%
(INBOX's children).