[Dovecot] Corrupted transaction log file

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Nov 4 23:26:29 EET 2011

On Fri, 2011-11-04 at 20:23 +0100, Peter Mogensen wrote:

> I'm running Dovecot 2.0.15 and have a client which keeps causing
> log-entries like:
>

> Nov  4 15:10:42 mail dovecot: imap (test at aaaone.net): Error: Corrupted
> transaction log file /mail/3340444/.TestMails/dovecot.index.log seq 2:
> indexid changed 1320419300 -> 1320419441 (sync_offset=0)

Session A had TestMails open and created with index file whose ID was
1320419300 (that's also UNIX timestamp of its creation time, Fri Nov  4
17:08:20 EET 2011).

Session B came and recreated the index files 141 seconds later with ID
1320419441. Either it didn't see A's original index files for some
reason or it simply decided to recreate them for some reason. Either way
this shouldn't have happened.

Session A then notices that the indexes were recreated, and logs an
error.

> But it only seems to be reproducible, when there's another client
> involved. Starting up Thunderbird with a login to the account seems to
> be enough to cause this. (To my knowledge this causes a series of STATUS
> command and then IDLE).
>
> The installation is using Maildir and lock_method = fcntl on local disks.

What filesystem? Have changed any service imap {} settings? Can you
reproduce this by running stress test with imaptest?
http://imapwiki.org/ImapTest For example:

imaptest user=testuser pass=testpass host=localhost

Or if it's really related to creating the initial files:

while imaptest user=testuser pass=testpass host=localhost secs=1; do
  rm -rf /home/testuser/Maildir
done