[Dovecot] Corrupted transaction log file

Peter Mogensen apm at one.com
Sat Nov 5 21:17:04 EET 2011

On 2011-11-04 22:26, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> Nov  4 15:10:42 mail dovecot: imap (test at aaaone.net): Error: Corrupted
>> transaction log file /mail/3340444/.TestMails/dovecot.index.log seq 2:
>> indexid changed 1320419300 ->  1320419441 (sync_offset=0)
>
> Session A had TestMails open and created with index file whose ID was
> 1320419300 (that's also UNIX timestamp of its creation time, Fri Nov  4
> 17:08:20 EET 2011).
>
> Session B came and recreated the index files 141 seconds later with ID
> 1320419441. Either it didn't see A's original index files for some
> reason or it simply decided to recreate them for some reason. Either way
> this shouldn't have happened.
 >
 > Session A then notices that the indexes were recreated, and logs an
 > error.

Oh... wait a minute...

The timestamp is UTC, so 17:08:20 is about 2:22 before the log line.
2:22 is 142 seconds.
So... given that the errors doesn't appear every time the client runs
the series of APPEND requests, but (now I come to think of it) probably
never the first time he runs it, but the second time - and that he did
run the script a few minutes before this log line with out errors,
  - then... the problem might be that the first run of the script
doesn't finish correctly. If session A is the first run of the script,
then it should have finished and logged out long before session B.
But maybe the problem is the first run not finishing properly.

/Peter