[Dovecot] Accessing a strange mailbox

micah anderson micah at riseup.net
Mon Nov 7 19:13:07 EET 2011

Hi, thanks for the reply!

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 21:34:03 +0200, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-10-21 at 10:50 -0400, Micah Anderson wrote:
> > I have a user who has a mailbox called:
> >
> > A----->B
> >
> > It seemed to work in courier fine, they managed to create it, and there
> > are mails in it. However, dovecot is not letting the user access it, the
> > IMAP server gives an error. I tried to rename it but I would also get an
> > error:
> >
> > # doveadm mailbox rename 'A----->B' AtoB
> > doveadm(root): Error: Can't rename mailbox A----->B to AtoB: Mailbox doesn't exist: A----->B
>
> Maybe it's not named that? What does it look like in filesystem? Worked
> fine with me:

I moved the user from courier maildir to mdbox, and I've still got the
maildir folders around, the filesystem shows it as:

drwx------   6 mail mail  4096 Oct 20 07:56 .A----->B

I just realized my mistake, my 'doveadm mailbox rename' command wasn't
limited to the particular user (I was not passing -u <username>) so it
was looking in the wrong namespace for that user.

Once I specified the user, it worked properly.

Micah