[Dovecot] Please advise on very fast search

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Wed Nov 9 16:14:21 EET 2011

Am 09.11.2011 14:57, schrieb Alexander Chekalin:
> Hello,
>
> I try to create some kind of mail backup system. What I need is system
> that will store mail for the whole domain, and allow me to restore
> messages from/to specified email at that domain.
>
> The scheme is pretty simple: on our main mail server the SMTP server
> itself has a rule to send a copy of every message to
> 'backup at backupserver.host', and the backupserver.host domain is placed
> nearby on second server.
>
> The SMTP on second server do simple 'catchall' redirect of all messages
> to the single box. There is also a Dovecot that takes care for remote
> IMAP access to that box. And, finally, I've create some scripts to sort
> all messages in INBOX to folders named after message's date.
>
> So I have a lot of mailboxes inside the catchall box:
> INBOX
> 2011.11.03
> 2011.11.04
> 2011.11.05
> 2011.11.06
> ...etc...
>
> and each folder holds messages for that day. Simply, and works perfectly.
>
> The problem is that when my archive become big (several years), it
> appears to be painful to find specified message(s). When someone
> suddenly needs to find his/her old message, it is mostly guesses like 'I
> think the message was between june and july of 2009, or maybe month or
> two before that', so I need to search all mailboxes (with 1000's
> messages in each). And it takes really long time.
>

> I tried to play with Dovecot indexes, but it won't help too much. The
> bad part is that I need to search for all emails in each message
> headers, not only for "From" or "To", since some messages are sent to
> maillists soe "To" = list address, not person's personal email.
>
> Then I tried to index messages on my own, storing info on emails into
> MySQL database ('email' -> 'mailbox', 'message filename'), but soon I
> find out that message files can be renamed by Dovecot.
>
> Could you please advice me how to speed up message search?
>

> Sorry for such a long question, hope you can help!
>
> Yours,
>   Alexander Chekalin

guess youre searching over imap ?
perhaps compression will help for speed up, and many other speed related
stuff, or you need some other idea of indexing
at last if its maildir how fast is "grep" etc...and so on
some ideas here
http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/ReadOnlyArchive etc

anyway , i think you really need another kind of archive solution
in Germany there is a law that you need to archive some kind of business
mails up to 10 years for finance and other review, so there are a lot of
"you can by" solutions now, these have solved the problems you
discovered ( indexing etc )
i was shown i.e
http://www.bytstormail.de which looked fine to me

or