[Dovecot] setacl fails - does not find dovecot-acl file

Michael Stilkerich ms at mike2k.de
Thu Nov 10 11:19:34 EET 2011

Hi,

On Nov 4, 2011, at 10:39 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>> Nov  4 16:29:03 keira dovecot: imap(isa): Error: fcntl(unlock) locking
>> failed for file /home/dovecot/isa/dovecot.index.log: No such file or
>> directory
>> Nov  4 16:29:03 keira dovecot: imap(isa): Error: fstat() failed with
>> file /home/dovecot/isa/dovecot.index.log: No such file or directory
>
> These simply shouldn't happen. I'd say it's a kernel bug. You're running
> a default Ubuntu kernel? I wonder if other Ubuntu users have this
> problem.

It may be an apparmor issue. I noticed plenty of apparmor log entries on these accesses, though apparmor should only log but not disallow them. I have unloaded the dovecot apparmor profiles and not seen any of these errors since then.

I got a new issue, however: I migrated from Maildir to mdbox. Since then, my shared mailboxes don't fully work anymore.

I have given another user full rights to a shared mailbox (getacl returns akxeilprwtscd for that folder/user). The user sees the mailbox an can perform some operations including reading and deleting messages on it. If she tries to insert a new message, however, it fails and the error log shows:

dovecot: imap(isa): Error: fcntl(write-lock) locking failed for file /home/dovecot/michael/storage/dovecot.map.index.log: Bad file descriptor
dovecot: imap(isa): Error: mail_index_wait_lock_fd() failed with file /home/dovecot/michael/storage/dovecot.map.index.log: Bad file descriptor

All my mail locations are owned by the respective system user and the mail group, and writeable by both. In particular, I checked that both the storage directory as well as the dovecot.map.index.log are writeable by the mail group.

The users are not regular members of the mail group, but my dovecot config contains

mail_access_groups = mail

Any idea how to resolve this issue?

-Mike