[Dovecot] Dovecot Log analysis

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Nov 21 23:45:39 EET 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-21 at 11:19 +0100, Thomas Hummel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Before writing them myself, I'd like to figure out if some tools exist (anvil ?
> ...) and how to use them to extract from dovecot logs things like who is doing
> what and how hard or how fast in order to do some rate limiting. For instance,
> I'd like to be able to identify, slow or block users who
>
>   . read or write to much / slice of time
>
>   . login/logout too often / slice of time
>
> Note : I'm still using the 1.2.x branch.

The reading/writing rate limiting could be a bit tricky. I guess with
Linux you could look into /proc/<pid>/io files for all imap/pop3
processes and determine from there which processes are doing too much.

For pop3 there's also
http://dovecot.org/patches/1.2/pop3-throttle-plugin.c

Other than that, I don't know of any existing stuff for v1.2. For v2.1
there's the new "stats" service and you can ask all kinds of statistics
from it, including what users/processes have used the most disk IO.