[Dovecot] Unique message IDs?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 22 12:01:28 EET 2011

On 22.11.2011, at 7.39, Alexander Chekalin wrote:

> I'd like to use the best optimized one (mdbox), but there is a reason not to do that is when I use mbox or maildir I can see where given IMAP folder mails are stored, so, say, if I want to copy only one IMAP folder to some remote site, I just copy know dir or file. With mdbox this is different, I simply can not guess where my messages exactly are.
>
> If it be possible to have per-IMAP-folders mdboxes, I love to use it. But from what I know and tried this is not way mdbox used to work, right?

sdbox would work like that. The reason mdbox doesn't work like that is because copying messages would be rather slow then.

The idea with mdbox is anyway that you'd use Dovecot's tools to manage the mailboxes rather than access them directly through filesystem. So if you want to copy one IMAP folder, you'd use either dsync or doveadm import to do it.