[Dovecot] 1.2.15 can't get zlib working

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Nov 23 01:07:28 EET 2011

On 23.11.2011, at 0.25, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 11/22/2011 12:30 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On 22.11.2011, at 19.00, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>
>>> The current operation on '1-Spam-l' did not succeed.  The mail server
>>> for account stan at hardwarefreak.com responded: Mailbox doesn't exist:
>>> 1-Spam-l
>> ..
>>> /$ la /home/stan/mail/1-Spam-l.gz
>>> -r-------- 1 stan stan 14M Oct 28  2010 /home/stan/mail/1-Spam-l.gz
>>
>> The name is now "1-Spam-l.gz", not "1-Spam-l". (Subscription file not updated?)
>
> Aha.  That was it.  Thanks Timo.  For some reason my read of the wiki
> page made me think this was handled transparently--just zip the file and
> everything works as it did before.  Apparently it's not as simple as the
> wiki leads one (me anyway) to believe.

I thought about doing something smarter, but then I thought "no one uses compressed mboxes for anything important anyway" :)

> This bit of the wiki caused me some confusion as well:
> "Compressed mbox files can be accessed only as read-only"
>
> Thus I chmod'ed the .gz file to read-only.  This creates a problem.  It
> appears that when Dovecot creates the .imap folder of the same name it
> inherits the permissions of the zipped mbox file.  Thus it can't create
> the indexes:

I've fixed this in some version. I guess in v2.0.

> Reverting with 'chmod +w' fixed this.  Maybe that sentence in the wiki
> could be reworded in a way that doesn't prompt some folks to manually
> make the zipped files read-only.

Well, I don't really care that much about v1.x anymore.

> It took a while for Dovecot to index the 15K+ messages.  With that
> finished, accessing the folder is similar to before, but there's a small
> lag when opening messages.

Yeah, it's uncompressing the entire file until it finds the message you're opening.

>  As this is an archive folder the contents
> won't change, so Squat FTS should be very fast after the first search,
> just as before.  Interestingly, it appears my squat indexes aren't
> updating--for any folder.  I've searched 4 folders via Tbird body search
> with xyzzyx (took forever) and I see no changes to the dates or sizes of
> existing indexes.  I deleted the squat indexes for one folder and ran
> the search again.  No new squat indexes were created.  No errors in the
> logs.
>
> Any ideas why the squat indexes aren't updating?  IIRC this happened
> once before and I was able to fix it.  Don't recall how I did it though....

> mail_plugins: zlib

Doesn't look like fts, fts_squat is enabled?