[Dovecot] v2.1.rc1 released

Miguel Tormo mlists at edicom.eu
Thu Nov 24 20:23:00 EET 2011

El Jueves, 24 de Noviembre de 2011 19:04:12 Luigi Rosa escribió:
> Timo Sirainen said the following on 24/11/11 01:46:
>
> > http://dovecot.org/releases/2.1/rc/dovecot-2.1.rc1.tar.gz
>
> Works as advertised.
>
> I noticed this warining:
>
> Warning: fd limit (ulimit -n) is lower than required under max. load (1024 <
> 4096), because of service auth { client_limit }
>
> What does exactly means?
>

> The server we are talking about is my home server, a CentOS/64 with a dozen of
> mailboxes.

The fd limit is the maximum number of concurrently open file descriptors per process.  It can be configured on a per-user basis.
You can check the actual value running 'ulimit -n'. It can be increased up to the value set in /proc/sys/fs/file-max. You can set it editing /etc/security/limits.conf.
What the above comment means is that under max load the auth service could need up to 4096 file descriptors open, that's more than the default in most linux systems (1024).

However, in your case with just a dozen of mailboxes I don't think you'll need to change it.